Saturday 5 May 2012

Varanasi


I've lost my marbles more than once since my not-so-memorable train incident, but I think I'm finally settling back into the swing of things. Just to give you an idea of the bureaucracy of India most Internet cafes require passport identification, let alone banks, hotels, and train officials. In reality it all just boils down to time and money that this whole fiasco has cost me, or first world problems you could say. I keep reminding myself that it could be worse and I should just be grateful that I can actually return to Canada at some point, something the bearer of my stolen passport can probably only dream about.

But what's done is done, what's gone is gone, c'est la vie. Next stop Varanasi!

A little more rough around the edges it seems here. The people, the streets, the buildings. I'm glad I had 3 months of dealing with India's finest under my belt before coming here because the touts are just relentless. A simple "no thank you" only seems to make the situation worse, as if politeness some how implies weakness. I'm no stranger to being offered drugs on this trip but Varanasi takes it to a whole new level. I had to do a double take one afternoon when I was politely asked by a well dressed local if I'd like to purchase some Heroin.

The heat, smells, sights and sounds of this city are an assault on the mind and body like no other. Just when you think India can't get any louder - enter Varanasi town proper. Where street parades seem to materialise out of thin air complete with trumpets and trombones, ear piercing diesel generators sit on sidewalks spewing noise and black smoke in your face, all the while shop keepers are asking if you want a shirt made but you're too busy wondering how much water you should be drinking in 45 degree weather so as to not die of heatstroke. Yep, this is India at its finest. Or is it at its worst? I can't tell anymore. I do know that everything I love to hate about India peaked in Varanasi. I gave myself five days here but left after three; I just couldn't handle the heat and noise for another moment.

Bodh Gaya is next on the list followed by some Himalayan Hill stations. I just want some peace and quiet to be honest. I figure if the Buddha can attain enlightenment in Bodh Gaya then I'm pretty sure I can at least reach a state of relaxation. That's the plan anyways!















2 comments:

  1. Great post Chris.
    Sober, informative and emotional at the same time. Do I make sense? I'm not sure but I don't care.
    Love your description of Varanassi and applaud your plan for Bodh Gaya. Will go there one day myself. Will be following you closely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the kind words my friend!

    ReplyDelete