Monday 7 May 2012

Peace and quiet, finally.

One of the reasons I find India so fascinating is the diversity of religions. I wouldn't call myself religious, more of an Agnostic with his shoulder resting on Atheism's front door is the way I'd put it. But Buddhism is the exception which I find both interesting and believable. A former Prince gives up everything to embark on a quest which ends up changing the way millions of people think. No guns, no swords, just words - I like it.

So here I am, Bodh Gaya in the state of Bihar, one of the most important sights in Buddhism. Ground zero I guess you could say. Only 3 hours away by train from hectic Varanasi yet the two seem worlds apart. It's green, it's quiet, and even the rickshaw drivers are honest! I stayed within a small village near a school for orphans. On my daily walks around town I'd be greeted by groups of these school kids and one thing I found remarkable was their level of English skills; right on par with a 6 or 7 year old kid in the West. I couldn't help but compliment them and the only way they could have been happier hearing me say this was if I'd included an ice cream cone along with the compliment too. Great atmosphere in this town.

The revered Bodhi tree was quite a remarkable sight, directly behind  the massive 50 meter Mahabhodi Temple. The tree itself seemed almost twice as wide as it was tall, its branches stretched far out into the air above casting a cool shade below for people to meditate and pay respect. I visited the place twice daily and soaked in the atmosphere, usually in the early morning and once before sunset.  No meditation for me though, just people watching and life pondering (two of my favourite things to do while traveling actually).

Definitely the right decision coming to Bodh Gaya, even if it was for only 2 days. From here it's on to Darjeeling to sip tea and get my first glimpse of the Himalayas...weather permitting of course!














1 comment: