Sunday 27 May 2012

I've Got Lassi In My Beard.


Or do I have beard in my Lassi? I guess it would depend on the bigger portion of the two. Amritsar in the state of Punjab -the place where besides a beautiful gold plated temple there's Lassis and beards where ever you look.

I suppose calling this scruff on my chin a beard is a bit of a stretch when compared to my Sikh counterparts, but I still do find my whiskers getting wet from constantly being submersed in these curdy beverages. More than once I've got caught up in the refreshing post euphoria that comes with slamming a Lassi back in the sweltering heat and walked away with a yogurt moustache. A few funny looks is all it takes to remind me, even still it happens quite often.

To stay on the curd subject, I'm convinced this is reason that the people of Punjab appear to be some of the tallest, most broad shouldered, bicep bulging folks in India. Milk does a body good after all. The Golden Temple's guards are a good example, some of them elders and still sticking their chests out confidently - all 6 foot 4 inches of them.  Spears and swords just add to the effect. They're constantly walking around ordering people to cover their heads, move in line, and sit cross legged. I personally was almost smacked for allegedly not walking through the foot bath before entering (even though I did), but who am I to argue with a man holding a spear?


















1 comment:

  1. Never liked that Lassi thing even though I had a mustache and/or beard most of the time. Oh well...

    ReplyDelete