Friday 6 April 2012

Two months down.

I'm not a fan of throwing darts at a map, I consider myself more of a gut instinct kind of person. But In a land of a billion people you can't always get the train ticket you want, so sometimes it's a mix of both can and want.

On a last minute-gut instinct inspired-change of plans, I decided to board a 23 hour train from Chennai to Gokarna, where I quickly reaped the benefits of my ever improving 'good time radar'. It took me almost 2 weeks to escape the grip of that little beach town, but more so it was the grip of the amazing people that I met which really kept me put. New friends, new memories, and a new appreciation for this lifestyle I'm currently enjoying.

At the start of my trip I felt that anyone who could handle India for 2 months should get a medal or trophy of some sort; my jaw would almost drop when people told me they've been here for 3,4, or 5 months. But 2 months in and I'm nowhere near ready to return home, not in the slightest. I do find myself getting ahead of myself sometimes by day dreaming of breezy Vancouver Summer nights, weekend camping trips with friends, and bike rides on non-chaotic streets. I say this because I haven't even scratched the surface of Northern India yet, and if all goes to plan I still have another 2-3 months to go.

 It's not homesickness that's making these thoughts. I know it's not. It's just me getting excited for a future chapter in this fun filled year I have planned out. British Columbia will always be my home and it's perfectly normal to miss something you love when you're separated from it for months on end. But sometimes I need to give myself a smack across the face to refocus on what's relevant (always have been a bit of a mind wanderer).

That being said I'm back in Bombay, the place where it all began 2 months and 4 days ago. I've hooked up with a friend whom I met in previous travels 2 years ago while in Brazil. The randomness of life has made sure we'd meet almost 2 years later to the day in India (where else would we have met?). From here it's on to Udaipur where my next adventure begins.

I look forward to getting back into photography mode and updating this blog more often as my Northern travels progress. I find the beach life a bit bland to photograph and write about....apart from the odd beach cow and sunset that is.







1 comment:

  1. It was so good catching up Chris. So so good. Looking forward to your future updates. Jealously of course!

    ReplyDelete