Saturday 14 April 2012

Enter Rajasthan.

After a quick but memorable stop in Bombay, I've arrived in the state of Rajasthan. Udaipur and Jodhpur are tourist magnets in the high season, but nicely devoid of crowds in the heat of the off season.

Rooftops are the theme here and every guesthouse puts theirs to great use. From watching the sunrise with a cup of chai on a cool morning to witnessing it set with a cold beer by your side, there's something about a rooftop restaurant that just 'does it' for me. When you add the call for prayers echoing from the streets below and ancient forts/temples scattered through out the city landscape, it pretty much pushes the ambiance factor almost off the charts. Yep, I could really get used to these kind of mornings/evenings.

The weather has been rather interesting this past couple days as well. It's ran the gamut of blistering heat to overcast and breezy.....even a few monsoon like thunder showers in the evenings to top it all off. Not what I envisioned for a desert region, but it makes for a great excuse to plant yourself at a table with friends and watch the whole fiasco unfold.

I'm liking what I see so far in Northern India, and tonight I'm boarding yet another overnight train to Jaisalmer. I've been warned numerous times of the oppressive heat one can expect in the months of April/May in Jaisalmer, but as far as I'm concerned if you want to experience the Thar Desert then come when it's hot.

Would too much snow stop you from going snowboarding?

 I'm not sure as I've never gone, but it seems like a good enough analogy to reinforce this decision!





No comments:

Post a Comment