Monday 25 November 2013

On The Move.


But nothing really new there.

Four days seems to be the going rate for how long I can stay put in one place. As much as I tried to give Pokhara more time, my Dslr was getting dusty from lack of use. There's just not enough to keep me entertained photo wise in these touristy areas.

I find that decisions are made and changed over a cup of chai while travelling solo, my eyes open in the morning and my bags are either packed in a flurry or left to sit for one more day. I'm in a constant state of flux while on the road, and this sense of freedom at my finger tips feels so exhilarating it's pretty much the sole reason I head off on these adventures.

My next destination involves me meeting up with a rickshaw driver. The thing is he doesn't know me and I don't know him, heck he doesn't even know I'm coming. When our eyes do meet a mutual agreement will be made to see who breaks first, but little does he know it's not my first rodeo in his homeland.

I'm leaving Nepal and crossing overland into India, more specifically to the holy city of Varanasi. I was just there 18 months prior wandering the ghats trying to enjoy a place which had occupied my travel dreams for the better part of a decade, but I wasn't in the right mind set at the time to properly absorb just what Varanasi had on offer, it was one of my biggest regrets of my last trip to India.

For anyone who reads these posts or has a good memory, about a week prior to visiting Varanasi I made one of the dumbest decisions of my life on a train ride. Complacency got the best of me and I had everything of value stolen in one misstep of judgement. It broke me mentally and even a bit financially; I let the bad guys win and it ruined my trip to one of the most fascinating cities on Earth.

But that was then and a lot has changed with me since. I'm so excited to be returning to Varanasi that those pre trip butterflies have resurfaced, the same ones that were fluttering away almost 2 months prior when I first departed on this current trip. But to leave one place a farewell must be said to another.

They say you come for the mountains but return for the people regarding Nepal. The countless smiles, beautiful faces, and friendly hospitality I experienced definitely lived up to this mantra, but when I return it'll be for both. My 3 week trek through the Himalayas was the shining highlight of my time spent here; the mountain scenery and village hospitality went hand in hand to create one of the most awe inspiring and friendly experiences of my travels. Yet again I find myself bidding a momentary farewell to a country that I know I'll return to in the future. After all I did say the same thing when I left India last June and look at me now.

Feels good to deliver on hard promises.

Until next time Nepal!












No comments:

Post a Comment