Thursday 17 October 2013

Confused, Amazed, and Lost in Tokyo.

When a country is so polite that it gives you shivers down your spine, that's when you know that you've landed somewhere special.

I left Tokyo more intrigued than before I arrived; I stopped trying to understand the everyday life of a Tokyoite and instead just strapped myself in and enjoyed the ride.

And what a fascinating ride it was.

I've been left amazed in previous travels from witnessing how some of the poorest people in the world carry on with perseverance and a smile no matter what hardships they face; but leaving the prosperous nation of Japan it's a different kind of smack up side the head.

The level of respect I witnessed being given to the rule of law, to tourists, and in the everyday life of the Japanese people just made my jaw drop. From the 7-11 clerk who backs up one step to perform a complete bow to each and every patron, to the teenager who waits on a deserted side street for the signal to turn green before he even thinks about crossing.

I heard one horn honk in the 5 days I was there, the whole street turned and looked towards a somewhat embarrassed driver. How dare he!

I leave still curious about a few things in this country (manga and pachinko included) but I leave clear as day on one point; the world could definitely learn a few lessons on politeness from Japan.....including myself.

Sayonara Tokyo, until next time!

















No comments:

Post a Comment