Friday 22 June 2012

Farewell Ladakh.


There's 8 days left on my visa, and as each day ticks away so does a bit of my motivation and energy to keep on cramming activities into my remaining time in this country. There was no shortages of activities in Ladakh and Manali, but my time spent in these places was mostly of the 'take note for next time' variety. Weather played spoiler for a good chunk of the time, but there's definitely worse places to kill a rainy day than a cafe in picturesque Leh.

Not a spec of doubt exists in my mind about returning to Ladakh. I'll come back prepared with more time and better motorcycle skills, because it is in fact the roads that snake through these mountains that I will really remember Ladakh for. The highest and seemingly most dangerous roads on the planet are here, and they're readily available to anyone wanting to challenge them. I challenged only one of dozens, and looking back at that 2 day motorcycle trip to Pangong Lake gives me butterflies.

Words and pictures can only do justice to an extent, to experience Leh you just need to come here, and come here by road if you can. It's the Wild Wild North and every piece of the puzzle for you to do what you've always dreamt of doing is right at your finger tips. From trekking, climbing, rafting, cycling, and motorbiking -it's all here and no one will say you can't do something.

It's this sense of adventure in the air, the beauty of the landscape, and friendliness of the Ladahki people that really did it for me.

It turns out I unknowingly saved the best for last.

Farewell Ladakh, until next time.



Few shots of Leh and Manali. I wasn't up for anything adventurous upon arriving in Manali from Leh; I was completely drained and pretty much spent a whole week 'getting back to my roots' so to speak. By that I mean drinking the night away with friends and spending hungover days in laid back restaurants - just like I do back home on my days off!






























No comments:

Post a Comment